themcglynn.com

02 Nov

United States Wars, News and Casualties

United States Wars, News and Casualties

 ************************

The War Criminal and His Two Buddies

 

Former U.S. Presidents, from left, Barack Obama, George Bush and Bill Clinton greet spectators on the first tee before the first round of the Presidents Cup at Liberty National Golf Club in Jersey City, N.J., Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

The above picture makes me sick. It should make every decent human being sick. Why, one may ask? One reason follows.

We condemned children to death, some after many days of writhing in pain on bloodstained mats, without pain relievers. Some died quickly, wasted by missing arms and legs, crushed heads. As the fluids ran out of their bodies, they appeared like withered, spoiled fruits. They could have lived, certainly should have lived – and laughed and danced, and run and played- but instead they were brutally murdered. Yes, murdered!

The war ended for those children, but it has never ended for survivors who carry memories of them. Likewise, the effects of the U.S. bombings continue, immeasurably and indefensibly.

And the three play golf and have their picture taken. Bullshit!

The McGlynn

 ************************

War News

IRAQ BODY COUNT>>

Total Dollar Cost of War>>

Cost of War in Iraq>>

Cost of War in Afghanistan>>

Cost of Military Action Against ISIS>>

BBC Arabic’s Nawal al-Maghafi

Children Dying Of Starvation In Yemen’s Conflict (Warning! This Video Contains Distressing Scenes!)

This video contains distressing scenes from the start. The war in Yemen has pushed the country to the brink of famine. Early last year Yemen’s government was overthrown by rebel forces. More than 3,500 civilians have been killed in the war. BBC Arabic’s Nawal al-Maghafi visited an area where major aid agencies can no longer operate.

BBC: Yemen war: What happened to Saleem?

It has been a year since starving Saleem became the face of Yemen’s suffering. But where is he now?

REU: Saudi-led air strike kills 26 people in Yemen: medics

DUBAI (Reuters) – An air strike by a Saudi-led military coalition killed 26 people at a hotel and an adjoining market in Yemen’s northern Saadah province on Wednesday, according to medics and a Reuters witness.

People gather at the site of an air strike in the northwestern city of Saada, Yemen November 1, 2017. REUTERS/Naif Rahma

The attack, which struck the Sahar district of the vast territory that borders Saudi Arabia, demolished the budget hotel and reduced market stalls outside to a heap of twisted sheet metal. Medics retrieved corpses from the rubble.

The military alliance led by Saudi Arabia has launched thousands of air strikes against Yemen’s armed Houthi movement, which hails from Saadah and now controls much of the country.

The coalition said in a statement carried on state news agency SPA that it was looking into media reports of the strike and would release its findings after a comprehensive review.

The 2-1/2 year war effort has yet to achieve its goal of restoring to power the internationally recognized government, but the conflict has unleashed one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises and killed at least 10,000 people.

Read full story »

AP: Syrian opposition say Russia trying to undercut UN talks

BEIRUT (AP) — Syrian opposition members said Wednesday that Russia’s plans to host Syrian groups and government representatives for political talks are an attempt to undercut U.N. efforts to resolve the country’s conflict.

Alise Mofrej, a senior member of the opposition Higher Negotiations Committee, said Russia’s proposal launches a new track parallel that undermines the internationally-backed Geneva talks, mediated by the United Nations.

Russia is “trying hard to cancel” the U.N. process, Mofrej said. She wrote on Twitter that Russia is creating “tactical” and “destructive” parallel tracks, with representatives from Syrian opposition groups she described as close to Moscow.

It’s not clear if Mofrej’s statements meant the internationally-backed opposition umbrella group would boycott the meeting, expected on Nov. 18 — 10 days before the U.N.-sponsored talks are to start in Geneva.

Russia is one of the main backers of the Syrian government. Moscow’s military involvement in the conflict since 2015 has propped President Bashar Assad’s troops and Russian mediation earlier this year launched cease-fire talks that established four “de-escalation” zones. The zones have significantly reduced violence though they have not tackled a political settlement.

On Tuesday, Russia’s top diplomat to Syria Alexander Lavrentyev announced at the closing of the seventh round of cease-fire talks that his country will now host political talks.

Russia invited over a dozen groups, a mix of political opposition parties in Syria and in exile, the main U.S.-backed Kurdish party now in control of northern Syria and Syrian government representatives.

Read full story »

REU: White House slams Russia over veto on Syria chemical weapons probe

(Reuters) – The White House admonished Russia on Wednesday after it vetoed a United Nations plan to continue an ongoing investigation that recently found Syria killed dozens of people with chemical weapons and implored the international body to renew the probe.

Russia cast a veto at the United Nations Security Council eight days ago, preventing the renewal of a mandate for a mission by the United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) – known as the Joint Investigative Mechanism (JIM) – that investigates the use of chemical weapons in Syria.

“Russia’s attempts to undermine and eliminate the JIM show a callous disregard for the suffering and loss of life caused by the use of chemical weapons and an utter lack of respect for international norms,” the White House said in a statement.

The JIM found that the Syrian government of Bashar al-Assad is to blame for a chemical attack on the opposition-held town of Khan Sheikhoun that killed dozens of people last April, according to a report sent to the United Nations Security Council last Thursday.

 Read full story »

IraqiNews: HRW: Iraqi security block refugees return in Anbar over suspected IS links

Displaced Iraqis who just fled their homes are transported to refugee camps as Iraqi forces battle with Islamic State militants, in western Mosul, Iraq February 28, 2017. REUTERS/Zohra Bensemra

Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Iraqi security officials in Anbar province are hampering the repatriation of civilians at ares retaken from the Islamic State over suspicions of having links with the militant group, Human Rights Watch said Thursday in a report as Iraqi forces become closer to clearing the province from militants.

“While Iraqi forces confront serious security concerns, just being a family member of someone linked to ISIS or having lived under ISIS is not enough to represent a real threat,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch. “Authorities should allow those who aren’t an actual security risk who want to go home to do so in peace and respect the right of people who don’t feel safe to live where they wish.”

In the same time, the organization said Iraqi officials were also forcing other reluctant families to return home even as those families feel it is unsafe to repatriate.

Read full story »

IraqiNews: KRG proposes Iraqi-Kurdish troops deployment at border exit near Turkey

Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Kurdistan Regional Government has proposed joint Iraqi-Kurdish deployment on a strategic border crossing between the region and Turkey, with participation of observers from the U.S.-led Coalition, Reuters reported.

A statement issued by KRG’s defense department said on Thursday that the deployment was as “a goodwill gesture and trust-building exercise that ensures a limited and temporary arrangement until an agreement is reached in accordance with the Iraqi Constitution,” Reuters added.

This came after general administration of Khabur exit denied on Wednesday news that Iraqi troops took control on it. Moreover, Jabbar al-Yawar, secretary general of Peshmerga Ministry told Sputnik agency that no federal troops exist at the crossing.

The border crossing links between Iraqi Kurdistan and Turkey. The crossing has been under focus after Iraqi authorities imposed strict measures on it after Kurdistan held its independence referendum on September 25.

Read full story »

AP: Iraq says negotiations with Kurds have failed

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraq says negotiations with the Kurds over the deployment of federal forces along the borders of their autonomous region have failed.

The body overseeing Iraq’s security forces said Wednesday that Kurdish forces had delayed talks in an effort to strengthen their defenses, and that as a result, both sides are back to “square one.”

The announcement comes less than a week after Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced a temporary halt to operations in which federal forces took over the oil-rich city of Kirkuk and other disputed areas. The advance had set off low-level clashes between the two sides, both of which are close U.S. allies against the Islamic State group.

Read full story »

IraqiNews: UNAMI: Over 300 Iraqis killed, injured due to violence in October

Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Over 300 Iraqis were killed and wounded as result of terrorism, violence and armed conflicts, a monthly release by the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) said on Monday.

The number of civilians killed in October, excluding police, was 109, while the number of injured, without police, was 237,” the statement said.

“Baghdad was the worst affected Governorate, with 177 civilian casualties (38 killed, 139 injured). Anbar Governorate followed, with 36 killed and 55 injured, and Kirkuk had 18 killed and 33 injured. The figures for Anbar were obtained by UNAMI from the Health Directorate in the Governorate and were updated until 31 October, inclusive,” the statement said.

The total figure marked a decline from last month’s, which reached more than 500 civilians. The victims went down from 196, while the injured decreased down from 381.

Read full story »

REU: Iraq threatens to resume military operations against Kurds

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – Iraqi forces threatened on Wednesday to resume operations to capture northern Kurdish-held territory after accusing authorities there of delaying handing over control of Iraq’s borders with Turkey, Iran and Syria.

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi on Friday declared a pause in an offensive that began on Oct. 16 to take over areas claimed both by his government and the autonomous Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG).

Abadi ordered economic and military retaliation against the KRG after Iraqi Kurds voted for independence in September in a referendum that Baghdad declared illegal.

He said the truce was meant to allow Iraqi troops to deploy without hindrance in the disputed areas and at the international borders.

Kurdish officials said on Tuesday they were willing to allow Iraqi “oversight” at the border but said the KRG had to remain in control of crossings into the Kurdish region.

Read full story »

REU: At least 15 killed in Afghanistan tanker explosion

CHARIKAR, Afghanistan (Reuters) – At least 15 people were killed and 27 wounded when fuel tankers exploded in the town of Charikar, northwest of the Afghan capital Kabul on Wednesday, destroying a nearby bus, residents and officials said.

A security official said a sticky bomb destroyed two tankers, setting off an explosion that engulfed the bus, burning many passengers to death.

Waheeda Shahkar, a spokeswoman for the local governor, put the death toll at least 15, with 27 wounded.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, which came a day after up to eight people were killed by a suicide bomber in Kabul.

Read full story »

Haqqani network on top as US shares list of 20 terror groups with Pakistan

The United States has shared a list of at least twenty terrorist groups with Islamabad which Washington insists use the Pakistani soil for the terrorist activities in Afghanistan and elsewhere, it has been reported. Diplomatic sources have confirmed to the local news outlet Dawn News that the White House retains a list of 20 terrorist

Read full story »

Proper roadmap needed for peace with Pakistan, Ghani tells Drew

The Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani says a proper roadmap should be prepared for reconciliation with Pakistan considering that the new US strategy for South Asia has created an environment and opportunity for regional cooperation. President Ghani made the remarks during a meeting with the British High Commissioner to Pakistan Thomas Drew in Kabul. The

Read full story »

Peace to return to Afghanistan the moment foreign troops leave, Pak’s JUI-S party

Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Sami (JUI-S) party led by Maulana Samiul Haq led by Maulana Samiul Haq has said peace will return to Afghanistan the moment the foreign forces leave the country. A spokesman for the party Maulana Yousuf Shah has told a local media outlet that the leader of the party has been approached by the Afghan

Read full story »

Young boys arrested before joining ISIS ranks in East of Afghanistan

Two young boys were arrested before they manage to join the ranks of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. The provincial police commandment in a statement the two young boys were arrested during an operation of the security forces in the vicinity of Haska Mina

Read full story »

Recent Casualties

Color Denotes Today’s Confirmation

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.

Chief Warrant Officer Jacob M. Sims, 36, of Juneau, Alaska, died Oct. 27 in Logar Province, Afghanistan, as a result of wounds sustained when he was involved in a helicopter crash. He was assigned to 4th Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington. The incident is under investigation.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was part of a joint U.S. and Nigerien train, advise and assist mission.

Sgt. La David T. Johnson, 25, of Miami Gardens, Florida, died Oct. 4 in southwest Niger as a result of enemy fire. His body was recovered by U.S. personnel Oct. 6. He was assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The incident is under investigation.

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of three soldiers who were part of a joint U.S. and Nigerien train, advise and assist mission. They died Oct. 4 in southwest Niger, as a result of hostile fire while on a reconnaissance patrol. All soldiers were assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The incident is under investigation.

Killed were:

Staff Sgt. Bryan C. Black, 35, of Puyallup, Washington

Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, 39, of Springboro, Ohio

Staff Sgt. Dustin M. Wright, 29, of Lyons, Georgia

Iraq Coalition Casualties: Military Fatalities By Name>>

Afghanistan Coalition Casualties: Military Fatalities By Name>>

Care for Veterans:

 

PTSD: National Center for PTSDPTSD Care for Veterans, Military, and FamiliesSee Help for Veterans with PTSD to learn how to enroll for VA health care and get an assessment.

All VA Medical Centers provide PTSD care, as well as many VA clinics.Some VA’s have programs specializing in PTSD treatment. Use the VA PTSD ProgramLocator to find a PTSD program.If you are a war Veteran, find a Vet Center to help with the transition from military to civilian life.

Call the 24/7 Veteran Combat Call Center1-877-WAR-VETS (1-877-927-8387) to talk to another combat Veteran.DoD’s Defense Centers of Excellence (DCoE) 24/7 Outreach Center for Psychological Health & Traumatic Brain Injury provides information and helps locate resources.

Call 1-866-966-1020 or email resources@dcoeoutreach.orgMilitary OneSourceCall 24/7 for counseling and many resources 1-800-342-9647.Need further assistance? Get Help with VA PTSD Care

Comments are closed.

© 2022 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo