themcglynn.com

18 Apr

United States Wars, News and Casualties

United States Wars, News and Casualties

The War Criminals

How many Iraqis have died as a result of the invasion 15 years ago? Some credible estimates put the number at more than one million. You can read that sentence again.

The invasion of Iraq is often spoken of in our country as a “blunder,” or even a “colossal mistake.” It was a crime.

Those who perpetrated it are still at large. Some of them have even been rehabilitated thanks to the horrors of a mostly amnesiac citizenry. (A year ago Mr. Bush was on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” dancing and talking about his paintings.)

The war criminals, Bush,Cheney,Rice,Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and Powell who sold us the war still go on doing what they do.

 

We condemned children to death, some after many days of writhing in pain on bloodstained mats, without pain relievers. Some died quickly, wasted by missing arms and legs, crushed heads. As the fluids ran out of their bodies, they appeared like withered, spoiled fruits. They could have lived, certainly should have lived – and laughed and danced, and run and played- but instead they were brutally murdered. Yes, murdered!

The war ended for those children, but it has never ended for survivors who carry memories of them. Likewise, the effects of the U.S. bombings continue, immeasurably and indefensibly.

The McGlynn

War News

Syria ‘chemical attack’: Family seen in hospital video speak

This is the story of Masa and her family, who survived the suspected chemical attack in Syria, in her own words.

Speaking on Sunday alongside her mother, she described how she and her entire family were hiding in a basement when a “barrel” dropped.

REU: U.N. Yemen mediator to come up with talks framework in two months

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – The United Nations’ Yemen mediator Martin Griffiths said on Tuesday he plans to present a plan for negotiations within two months to end the conflict, but warned that any new military offensives could “take peace off the table.”

A proxy war is playing out in Yemen between Iran and Saudi Arabia. A Saudi-led military coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015, backing government forces fighting Iran-allied Houthi rebels. Iran has denied supplying weapons to the Houthis.

Griffiths, a former British diplomat who replaced Mauritania’s Ould Cheikh Ahmed as the U.N. Special Envoy last month, briefed the U.N. Security Council for the first time on Tuesday.

“My plan is to put to the (Security) Council within the next two months a framework for negotiations,” Griffiths said………….The Saudi-led coalition has conducted thousands of air strikes targeting Houthi fighters and has often hit civilian areas, although it denies ever doing so intentionally.

Read Full Article>>

NYT: Opinion Trump’s Problem in Syria? It Was Obama’s Too

The agonizing conflict in Syria, which has vexed both the Obama and Trump administrations, is growing increasingly complex and dangerous. Now, more than ever, the United States needs to clarify its strategic objectives in Syria and pursue them with ruthless discipline.

Russia and Iran have paid dearly to enable the Syrian leader, Bashar al-Assad, to dismantle the opposition and will stay in Syria to prop him up. The Islamic State has been dislodged from its “caliphate” but not yet defeated. And the horrific humanitarian plight of the Syrian people endures.

The United States’ policy options, ever bad, are more limited and less effectual than ever. The airstrikes launched last week by the United States, France and Britain sent a necessary, calibrated message to Mr. Assad that the civilized world does not countenance chemical weapons use. But their deterrent effect is likely, again, to be fleeting, not least because the United States — wary of provoking a wider conflict — has twice demonstrated that it will not use regime-threatening force to punish Syria’s use of chemical weapons.

Read Full Article>>

GUARD: Syria: US in talks over Arab force to replace American troops

Problematic proposal is backed by national security adviser John Bolton but could worsen conflict

The Trump administration is renewing an effort to replace US troops in Syria with an Arab force, but the proposal faces substantial obstacles and could potentially exacerbate the conflict.

The Saudi foreign minister, Adel al-Jubeir, said his government was talking to Washington about raising such a force, confirming a report in the Wall Street Journal that said the new US national security adviser, John Bolton, had called the Egyptian intelligence chief, Abbas Kamel, to ask Cairo to play a part in building one.

There are about 2,000 US troops in Syria fighting Islamic State, but Donald Trump has repeatedly expressed a desire to withdraw them.

The idea of an Arab coalition force playing a role in Syria to combat extremist groups and contain Iranian influence has surfaced several times since 2015, but faces severe problems. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are bogged down in a brutal war in Yemen, and have little manpower and few military resources to spare.

Read Full Article>>

REU: U.S. says chemical arms inspectors still have not entered site of Syrian attack

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States believes inspectors from the global chemical weapons watchdog have not yet been able to enter the site of the April 7 alleged chemical weapons attack on the Syrian town of Douma, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said on Tuesday.

Nauert said she was aware of reports from Syria that inspectors from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons had been able to see the site but “our understanding is that the team has not entered Douma.”

She said the United States had information that both chlorine and sarin nerve gas were used in the attack and was concerned that evidence was deteriorating the longer inspectors were kept from reaching the site.

Read Full Article>>

Militants suffer heavy casualties in Afghan army artillery strikes

By Khaama Press – Wed Apr 18 2018, 11:04 am

The anti-government armed militants suffered heavy casualties during the operations of the Afghan armed forces involving artillery strikes.

The Ministry of Defense (MoD) said the operations were conducted in the vicinities of Kandahar and Ghazni provinces in the South and Southeastern parts of the country.

According to MoD, at least 14 militants were killed and 15 others were wounded during the operations of the Afghan armed forces in Ghazni province.

The source further added that the operations were conducted in Moqor district with the support of the artillery units of the army.

The Afghan armed forces also conducted similar strikes in Kandahar province leaving at least seven militants dead, MoD said.

Read Full Article>>

War Casualties By Name – Search by Name:

Iraqi Freedom >>

Afghanistan >>

Desert Storm>>

Viet Nam >>

Korea >>

Total Dollar Cost of Wars Since 2001>>

Cost of War in Iraq>>

Cost of War in Afghanistan>>

Recent Casualties:

Color Denotes Today’s Confirmation

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Inherent Resolve.

Master Sgt. Jonathan J. Dunbar, 36, of Austin, Texas, died March 30 in Manbij, Syria as a result of injuries when an improvised explosive device (IED) detonated near his patrol. The incident is under investigation. Dunbar was assigned to Headquarters, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft Bragg, North Carolina.

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of seven airmen who were supporting Operation Inherent Resolve. They died March 15 when an HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter crashed in western Iraq. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Captain Mark K. Weber, 29, of Colorado Springs, Colorado. He was assigned to the 38th Rescue Squadron at Moody Air Force Base, Georgia.

Captain Andreas B. O’Keeffe, 37, of Center Moriches, New York.
Captain Christopher T. Zanetis, 37, of Long Island City, New York.
Master Sergeant Christopher J. Raguso, 39, of Commack, New York.
Staff Sergeant Dashan J. Briggs, 30, of Port Jefferson Station, New York.

Master Sergeant William R. Posch, 36, of Indialantic, Florida.
Staff Sergeant Carl P. Enis, 31, of Tallahassee, Florida.
Both were assigned to the 308th Rescue Squadron, Air Force Reserve, at Patrick Air Force Base, Florida. For more information, media may contact the 920th Rescue Wing public affairs office at 321-615-0329.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Inherent Resolve.Sgt. 1st Class Maitland Deweever Wilson, 38, of Brooklyn, New York, died March 7 in Landstuhl, Germany from a non-combat related incident. The incident is under investigation.Wilson was assigned to the 831st Transportation Battalion, 595th Transportation Brigade, Manama, Bahrain.

Care for Veterans:

PTSD: National Center for PTSDPTSD Care for Veterans, Military, and FamiliesSee Help for Veterans with PTSD to learn how to enroll for VA health care and get an assessment.

All VA Medical Centers provide PTSD care, as well as many VA clinics.Some VA’s have programs specializing in PTSD treatment. Use the VA PTSD ProgramLocator to find a PTSD program.If you are a war Veteran, find a Vet Center to help with the transition from military to civilian life.

Call the 24/7 Veteran Combat Call Center1-877-WAR-VETS (1-877-927-8387) to talk to another combat Veteran.DoD’s Defense Centers of Excellence (DCoE) 24/7 Outreach Center for Psychological Health & Traumatic Brain Injury provides information and helps locate resources.

Call 1-866-966-1020 or email resources@dcoeoutreach.orgMilitary OneSourceCall 24/7 for counseling and many resources 1-800-342-9647.Need further assistance? Get Help with VA PTSD Care

 

Comments are closed.

© 2023 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo