themcglynn.com

14 Oct

United States Wars, News and Casualties

United States Wars, News and Casualties

 ************************

The War Criminal and His Two Buddies

 

Former U.S. Presidents, from left, Barack Obama, George Bush and Bill Clinton greet spectators on the first tee before the first round of the Presidents Cup at Liberty National Golf Club in Jersey City, N.J., Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

The above picture makes me sick. It should make every decent human being sick. Why, one may ask? One reason follows.

We condemned children to death, some after many days of writhing in pain on bloodstained mats, without pain relievers. Some died quickly, wasted by missing arms and legs, crushed heads. As the fluids ran out of their bodies, they appeared like withered, spoiled fruits. They could have lived, certainly should have lived – and laughed and danced, and run and played- but instead they were brutally murdered. Yes, murdered!

The war ended for those children, but it has never ended for survivors who carry memories of them. Likewise, the effects of the U.S. bombings continue, immeasurably and indefensibly.

And the three play golf and have their picture taken. Bullshit!

The McGlynn

 ************************

War News

IRAQ BODY COUNT>>

Total Dollar Cost of War>>

Cost of War in Iraq>>

Cost of War in Afghanistan>>

Cost of Military Action Against ISIS>>

A new video from the northern Syrian city of Raqqa shows scores of civilians fleeing in fear areas held by the Islamic State group and reaching a neighborhood controlled by U.S.-backed fighters.

U.S.-backed fighters of the Syrian Democratic Forces have been on the offensive in Raqqa since June 5 and have so far captured more than 80 percent of the city that was the de facto capital of IS.

IS still controls the city’s stadium that is believed to be a jail run by the extremists, as well as the National Hospital and a small part of northern Raqqa.

There have been attempts to evacuate some 4,000 civilians still held inside IS-controlled areas but some officials have refused to allow IS fighters a safe route out of the city.

U.S. military spokesman Ryan Dillon tweeted Friday that SDF and the Raqqa Civilian Council, along with local Arab leaders, are continuing talks to evacuate civilians from Raqqa, denying reports that the U.S.-led coalition was blocking passage.

Read full story »

AP: US-backed forces in Syria say ‘final’ battle for Raqqa is on

BEIRUT (AP) — The U.S.-backed Kurdish-led forces fighting Islamic State militants in Syria said on Saturday that they are waging the “final” battle to uproot the extremists from the northern city of Raqqa, once the de facto capital of the militant group.

This final battle could take hours or days, said Mustafa Bali, the spokesman for the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces.

Losing Raqqa, in many ways the symbol of IS’ caliphate, would be yet another blow to the militant group and its reign of terror in the region as its strongholds crumble one after another in Iraq and other parts of Syria.

IS militants are desperately fighting in a number of neighborhoods in the city, Bali said.

“They are still able to fight but they will no longer determine the fate of the battle,” Bali said. “Our forces are waging the final phase of the battle of the presence of Daesh in Raqqa. We have not decided if this battle will last hours, days or weeks.” Daesh is the Arabic term for IS.

Over the past days, mediation efforts by local tribesmen and the local civil council have secured the release of a number of civilians from Raqqa. A local council official, Omar Alloush of the Raqqa Civilian Council, told The Associated Press on Friday that 100 IS fighters surrendered to U.S.-backed forces.

U.S. officials have said that only surrender, not a negotiated withdrawal for IS, would be accepted.

Read full story »

AP: Local official: 100 IS fighters surrender in Syria’s Raqqa

BEIRUT (AP) — Some 100 fighters from the Islamic State group handed themselves over to U.S.-backed fighters in the northern city of Raqqa Friday as fighting continued with remaining gunmen in a pocket inside the city.

Omar Alloush of the Raqqa Civilian Council did not give details how the 100 fighters surrendered but said fighting is still ongoing in parts of the city that was once the de facto capital of IS.

U.S.-backed fighters of the Syrian Democratic Forces have been on the offensive in Raqqa since early June and have so far captured more than 80 percent of the city under the cover of airstrikes by the U.S.-led coalition.

IS still controls the city’s stadium that is believed to be a jail run by the extremists, as well as the National Hospital and a small part of northern Raqqa.

Read full story »

AP: The Latest: US coalition: IS in Raqqa left with small arms

None

This frame grab from a video provided on Friday, Oct. 13, 2017 by Turkey-based Kurdish Mezopotamya agency media outlet that is consistent with independent AP reporting, shows Syrian civilians run on a damaged street as they fleeing from the areas that still controlled by the Islamic State militants, in Raqqa, Syria. Scores of civilians including women and children are fleeing the last few remaining neighborhoods held by the Islamic State group in Syria’s northern city of Raqqa, ahead of an anticipated final push by U.S.-backed fighters seeking to liberate the city. (Mezopotamya Agency, via AP)

The U.S-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group says the militants remaining in the Syrian city of Raqqa are likely left with only small arms to fight for the sliver of land they still control there.

The coalition says in a statement emailed to The Associated Press on Saturday that IS militants still in Raqqa are completely cut off from their leadership and likely have only pistols, rifles, light machine guns and a dwindling supply of ammunition,

Despite this assessment, the coalition says it expects difficult days ahead until Raqqa, once the militants’ de facto capital, is retaken. Earlier this week, the coalition estimated that 300 to 400 militants remained in the city. On Friday, a local official said an estimated 100 militants surrendered.

Read full story »

REU: Pakistan’s hostage rescue hailed, but tensions with U.S. remain

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) – The freeing of a hostage U.S.-Canadian family by Pakistan’s army has been hailed by officials as a positive step in mending ties between Washington and Islamabad, but those hoping for a fresh start in their fraught relationship seem likely to be disappointed.

Pakistan and the United States have for years been – at best – uneasy allies in the war against the Taliban and other Islamist extremists.

U.S. President Donald Trump said the raid that rescued American Caitlan Coleman, her Canadian husband Joshua Boyle and their three young children showed that Pakistan had started to “respect the United States again” in response to his administration’s tough-talking tactics.

But the two countries still have conflicting interests – and the Trump administration’s vow to apply more diplomatic pressure on Pakistan is unlikely to work, given Islamabad’s growing alliance with regional heavyweight China, say analysts.

Read full story »

GUARD: Kurdish and Iraqi troops in Kirkuk standoff amid fears of new violence

Political leaders on both sides try to calm nerves as Iraq’s prime minister insists he has no plans for an attack

Kurdish and Iraqi government forces have squared off south of Kirkuk after rushing troops and armour to the oil-rich city two weeks after the country’s Kurds voted for independence from Baghdad.

Peshmerga forces massed about 20 miles from Kirkuk’s southern limits on Friday after units loyal to the central government took positions on the city’s approaches, prompting fears of fresh violence in one of the most bitterly contested corners of Iraq.

By nightfall the likelihood of an imminent battle for the ethnically diverse city had dissipated, with political leaders on both sides trying to calm nerves. The Iraqi prime minister, Haidar al-Abadi, who is commander-in-chief of the country’s military, insisted he had no plans to launch an attack.

Peshmerga units, loyal to the PUK [Patriotic Union of Kurdistan] – one of two rival power bases in Iraqi Kurdistan, had earlier withdrawn from three districts to the south, allowing the Iraqi army to move in. Shia forces supporting them made a series of threats to storm the city as soon as early as Friday night. The Iraqi push has captured 72 square kilometres.

Read full story »

IraqiNews: IS detaines 15 youth in Anbar’s Qaim over cooperation with security

Anbar (IraqiNews.com) Islamic State has detained fifteen youth in western Anbar over cooperation with security services, a source was quoted saying.

Speaking to Alghad Press on Friday, the source said, “IS detained fifteen youth from cybercafes in Qaim after inspecting their cellphones.”

“IS accused the youth of cooperation with security troops,” the source said, adding that the detainees were taken to unknown destination.

Earlier on the day, the War Media Cell said the Iraqi military command urged residents in Qaim to be prepared for imminent operations to retake their region from militants. On Thursday, the Iraqi army’s elite Counter-Terrorism Service distributed flyers in Qaim urging Islamic State militants to surrender better than having the same destiny of other militants in liberated regions. It also urged people to stay away from the militants in order not to be used as human shields, and to remember their hideouts so troops could follow them after the town is liberated.

Read full story »

IraqiNews: Peshmerga: Baghdad did not grant troops 48 hours to leave Kirkuk

Erbil (IraqiNews.com) Peshmerga has denied news over being granted 48 hours by the federal government in Baghdad to leave Kirkuk.

Speaking to the Russian Sputnik agency on Friday, Jabbar Yawar, secretary general of the Peshmerga Ministry, responded to a question whether the Kurdish troops were given 48 hours to leave Kirkuk, saying “there is nothing official in this regard.

“I believe this might have taken place between a commander and local leader, but on the level of the higher command of federal troops, the commander in chief of federal troops or the Joint Operations Command, nothing happened in this regard. Everyone was saying that we are not going to use any military force to threaten Kurdistan regions, especially Kirkuk. We don’t have intentions for this,” Yawar said.

Earlier on the day, Sputnik reported that Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi ordered to halt security advancement into Kirkuk for 48 hours after Peshmerga lowered their flags and emptied their barracks in Taza and Bashir villages.

Read full story »

REU: Canadian says child killed, U.S. wife raped during Afghan kidnapping

OTTAWA/TORONTO (Reuters) – A U.S.-Canadian couple freed in Pakistan this week, nearly five years after being abducted in Afghanistan, returned to Canada on Friday where the husband said one of his children had been murdered and his wife had been raped.

American Caitlan Coleman and her Canadian husband, Joshua Boyle, were kidnapped while backpacking in Afghanistan in 2012 by the Taliban-allied Haqqani network. They arrived in Canada with three of their children.

“Obviously, it will be of incredible importance to my family that we are able to build a secure sanctuary for our three surviving children to call a home,” Boyle told reporters after arriving at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport, wearing a black sweatshirt and sporting a beard………………“The stupidity and the evil of the Haqqani network in the kidnapping of a pilgrim … was eclipsed only by the stupidity and evil of authorizing the murder of my infant daughter,” Boyle said, reading from a statement, in a calm voice.

“And the stupidity and evil of the subsequent rape of my wife, not as a lone action, but by one guard, but assisted by the captain of the guard and supervised by the commandant.”

Read full story »

REU: Iraq’s Kurds beef up, move back defense line around oil-rich Kirkuk

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – Kurdish authorities said on Friday they had sent thousands more troops to Kirkuk to confront “threats” of Iraqi military attack, but also slightly pulled back defense lines around the disputed oil-producing area to ease tensions.

The Baghdad central government has taken a series of steps to isolate the autonomous Kurdish region since its overwhelming vote for independence in a Sept. 25 referendum, including banning international flights from going there.

Baghdad’s tough line, ruling out talks sought by the Kurds unless they renounce the breakaway move, is backed by neighbors Turkey and Iran – both with their own sizable Kurdish minorities, and in Turkey’s case, a long-running Kurdish insurgency.

Tens of thousands of Kurdish Peshmerga soldiers have been stationed in and around Kirkuk for some time and another 6,000 have arrived since Thursday, Kosrat Rasul, vice president in the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), said.

Read full story »

NYT: Afghan Officials: US Drone Kills 14 IS in Eastern Province

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghan officials say a U.S. drone strike has killed 14 Islamic State militants in a remote area in Afghanistan’s eastern Kunar province.

Abdul Ghani Musamim, spokesman for the provincial governor, said on Saturday that the strike took place on Thursday afternoon in the Chawkay district. He says it targeted a meeting of IS commanders planning for a terrorist attack. The government has no control of the remote area where Afghanistan’s IS affiliate has managed to establish a presence.

The spokesman for the Ministry of Defense, Dawlat Waziri, also confirmed the report.

There was no immediate comment from the U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan.

However, lawmaker Shazada Shaheed rejected the report, claiming the victims of the strike were civilians.

Read full story »

Explosion in Nangarhar leaves three brothers dead

At least three members of a family were killed in an explosion in eastern Nangarahr province of Afghanistan, the local officials said Friday. The incident took place in Haska Mina district after an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) planted by the militants went off in Laglori Khor area. The officials are saying that the three brothers

Read full story »

Karzai reacts at alleged civilian casualties in Kunar airstrike

The former Afghan President Hamid Karzai reacted at the alleged civilian casualties in an airstrike in eastern Kunar province Afghanistan. The office of the former president in a statement, the former president has strongly condemned the deaths of the civilians in a US airstrike in Kunar province. The statement further added that the former president

Read full story »

Casualties, Exclusive of Civilians

Recent Casualties

Color Denotes Today’s Confirmation

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was part of a joint U.S. and Nigerien train, advise and assist mission.

Sgt. La David T. Johnson, 25, of Miami Gardens, Florida, died Oct. 4 in southwest Niger as a result of enemy fire. His body was recovered by U.S. personnel Oct. 6. He was assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The incident is under investigation.

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of three soldiers who were part of a joint U.S. and Nigerien train, advise and assist mission. They died Oct. 4 in southwest Niger, as a result of hostile fire while on a reconnaissance patrol. All soldiers were assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The incident is under investigation.

Killed were:

Staff Sgt. Bryan C. Black, 35, of Puyallup, Washington

Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, 39, of Springboro, Ohio

Staff Sgt. Dustin M. Wright, 29, of Lyons, Georgia

The Department of Defense announced the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Inherent Resolve.

Spc. Alexander W. Missildine, 20, of Tyler, Texas, died Oct. 1 in Salah ad-Din Province, Iraq, as a result of injuries sustained when an improvised explosive device detonated near his convoy. The incident is under investigation.

Missildine was assigned to the 710th Brigade Support Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Polk, La.

Iraq Coalition Casualties: Military Fatalities By Name>>

Afghanistan Coalition Casualties: Military Fatalities By Name>>

Care for Veterans:

 

PTSD: National Center for PTSDPTSD Care for Veterans, Military, and FamiliesSee Help for Veterans with PTSD to learn how to enroll for VA health care and get an assessment.

All VA Medical Centers provide PTSD care, as well as many VA clinics.Some VA’s have programs specializing in PTSD treatment. Use the VA PTSD ProgramLocator to find a PTSD program.If you are a war Veteran, find a Vet Center to help with the transition from military to civilian life.

Call the 24/7 Veteran Combat Call Center1-877-WAR-VETS (1-877-927-8387) to talk to another combat Veteran.DoD’s Defense Centers of Excellence (DCoE) 24/7 Outreach Center for Psychological Health & Traumatic Brain Injury provides information and helps locate resources.

Call 1-866-966-1020 or email resources@dcoeoutreach.orgMilitary OneSourceCall 24/7 for counseling and many resources 1-800-342-9647.Need further assistance? Get Help with VA PTSD Care

Comments are closed.

© 2022 themcglynn.com | Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS)

Global Positioning System Gazettewordpress logo